Annual Economic Outlook luncheon
We have an incredible speaker again this year for the 2010 Economic Outlook luncheon. You'll want to attend this Wednesday to hear Craig Alexander, senior vice-president and deputy chief economist with TD Bank Financial Group. Alexander will travel from Toronto to share his wisdom with the St. Albert business community. You'll also want to learn the winners of last year's Economic Predictions contest, and get your entry in for predictions for 2010. The luncheon is at the Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13. This luncheon is sponsored by TD Canada Trust. Reserve your spot today by calling 780-458-2833, email [email protected] or register on the website www.stalbertchamber.com. Cost is $30.
Message from the chair
Happy New Year, everyone. Is it just me or does 2010 still sound like some futuristic date? Well, it's here and I'm excited to be your volunteer chair for what is shaping up to be a very busy year at the chamber of commerce. I welcome all of our newly elected directors to the board and I look forward to working with all of you as we support St. Albert's "Vibrant Business Community." I would like to thank Rob LeLacheur for all that he has done as he hands over the past-chair duties to Joe Becigneul. The good news is that Rob is not retiring completely and will continue to sit on more than one chamber committee. Thanks Rob!
Although it's early January, several committees have already picked up speed for 2010. In January we have the Economic Outlook luncheon and the Chamber Gala, followed by the continuation of the Vision of Success – Women in Business speaker series in February. The Healthy Business Challenge kicks off with a curling bonspiel in March and the Lifestyle Expo and Trade Show is well into planning for April. The standing committee for the downtown Perron district presented a great Snow Flake Festival and Light-up in December and has a very busy agenda for the new year. The government relations committee continues to advocate on behalf of business and is currently working on the issues of the 137th Avenue and Anthony Henday access, and smart growth. The Almost-Annual Golf Tournament committee will begin meeting shortly and then the Small Business Week group will be coming together to plan the celebration of business in October. Of course June kicks off our famous farmers' market and this year the market will run two weeks longer, taking us right up to Thanksgiving. The member services committee has been hard at work implementing the new M2M Shop Chamber program and putting together the best directory we've ever had. The chamber will also be busy planning to host the Alberta Chambers of Commerce AGM and Conference in 2011 and participating wherever possible in St. Albert's 150th birthday celebrations. When you throw in 10 business luncheons with amazing speakers and the monthly business breakfasts around the city, there is an inviting opportunity for everyone to get involved with the chamber of commerce. I'm hoping to see you at the Economic Outlook luncheon on Wednesday.
— Mike Howes, Chair-Elect, 2010
Welcome new members
• Coldwell Banker Okanagan Realty — Don Lancaster, owner, #101, 1873 Main St., Penticton, B.C. Tel: 250-492-2911 Fax: 250-492-2878 Email: [email protected]
• Elite Sportswear & Awards — Drew Schamehorn, president and Harv Bishop, director, 14703 - 118 Ave., Edmonton. Tel: 780-454-7944 Fax: 780-451-1034 Email: [email protected], www.elitesportswear.com
• Great Beginning School of Music — Susan Kirton, owner, #2, 205 Chatelain Dr., St. Albert. Tel: 780-458-9059 Fax: 780-458-7478 Email: [email protected], www.gbmusikgarten.com
• Island Ink Jet — Joan Wetmore, owner, #13, 11 Bellerose Dr., St. Albert. Tel: 780-418-4420 Email: [email protected], www.islandinkjet.com
Jamb Express Inc. — Andres and Paola Rohuedee, owners, #2, 44 St. Thomas St., St. Albert. Tel: 780-651-4101 Fax: 780-651-4102 Email: [email protected]
• Joey's Restaurants — Jimmy Salha, general manager, 3506 Tudor Glen Market, St. Albert. Tel: 780-459-1111 Fax: 780-459-1177 Email: [email protected], www.joeys.ca
• Just Beachin' Tanning — Carmen Smith, owner/manager, #206, 24 Inglewood Dr., St. Albert. Tel: 780-458-3232 Email: [email protected], www.justbeachin.ca
• Kross Janitorial Ltd. — Mandeep Rai and Bal Rao, managers, #4, 1008 - 29A Ave., Edmonton. Tel: 780-463-8756 Fax: 780-463-8759 Email: [email protected], www.krossjanitorial.com
• OceanAir Designs — Mike Gerencser, owner/graphic designer, 33 Kirkwood Dr., St. Albert. Tel: 780-458-1609 Email: [email protected], www.oceanairdesigns.com
• Pleasant Solutions — Thomas Stachura, #260, 8702 - 48 Ave. NW, Edmonton. Tel: 780-463-8875 Email: [email protected], www.pleasantsolutions.com
Scentsy — Independent Consultant — Laura Lee Schroder, 3D Burnham Ave., St. Albert. Tel: 780-660-6190 Email: [email protected], www.sentsy.com
• Survivor Bootcamp — Dione Chambers, manager, P.O. Box 92565, RPO Nottingham, Sherwood Park. Tel: 780-701-3558 Fax: 780-401-3009 Email: [email protected].
• The UPS Store — Ross Ullyot, owner/operator, #3, 11 Bellerose Dr., St. Albert. Tel: 780-460-3666 Fax: 780-460-3667 Email: [email protected], www.theupsstore.ca/65
Third annual Genstar Chamber Gala
You won't want to miss this exciting evening of fine dining and exceptional entertainment. Mayor Nolan Crouse will preside over the official swearing-in of 2010 chamber chair Mike Howes and first vice-chair Charlene Zoltenko. You'll hear from outgoing chair Joe Becigneul as he presents his "year in review," and Howes as he shares his views on 2010. We're proud to have an original work of art by Lewis Lavoie, created live during the evening, being auctioned off by our guest auctioneer, John Farlinger. Once again, the Chamber Gala is made possible by our sponsor, Genstar Developments. Tickets are now available at $90 per person, or $700 for a table of eight. Contact the chamber of commerce office at 780-458-2833 for your tickets. Black tie is optional.
State of the City
It's a February tradition for the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce to welcome our mayor with the State of The City address. This year is no exception. Join the business community at the Business @ Lunch to hear Mayor Nolan Crouse provide an update on our progress since last year and the plans for 2010. The event will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 10. To register, please contact the chamber office.
Vision of Success
The Vision of Success speaker series continues on Feb. 18 with featured speaker Shirley Sander, whose presentation is entitled "Against All Odds" and tells her story of climbing to success in a male dominated business sector. Shirley follows Elsie Elford, Dean of the MacEwan School of Business, who gave an excellent presentation in November. The next speakers in the series are Ruth Kelly from Alberta Venture Magazine in May and Jessie Radies from Original Fare and the Blue Pear Restaurant in August. A three-session ticket is still available, as are individual tickets. The February event is being held at the Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club and features hors d'oeuvres, wine and travel fashions and accessories. Contact the chamber office for tickets.
Smart growth advocacy
The chamber of commerce government relations committee and the board of directors have spent several months learning about the smart growth concept being proposed by city administration. The formal chamber position on this issue was presented to city council both by letter and by personal appearance at the Jan. 4 council meeting. The chamber of commerce does not support smart growth development on a wholesale basis for the new annexation areas of St. Albert. We do, however, believe that there are some concepts that are valuable and could be integrated into our traditional land development plans for the future. The views of the chamber of commerce were echoed by SAEDAC and many other presenters at the recent meeting. We will continue to stay involved in this issue until it is resolved by council.
Your chamber of commerce continues to advocate on behalf of business and we will keep you informed of other key issues as they come forward for discussion. If you have an interest in participating on the government relations committee, please contact Lynda Moffat at the chamber office. The committee meets monthly.