It's a treasure trove, a place where you can escape the cold and immerse yourself in a world of beauty, history, and inspiration. This hidden gem is none other than Arts and Heritage St. Albert.
A visit to Arts and Heritage St. Albert isn't just a way to pass the time; it's an experience. There are several current and upcoming exhibitions on display that are sure to captivate your imagination. Each exhibition presents a unique perspective, showcasing the depth and diversity of artistic talent in our community.
- Mâmitonêyihcikan kotâwîw – “my mind digs in the soil like a turtle,” which runs from October 5 to November 25. This exhibition presents a unique exploration of our relationship with the natural world.
- First Languages, running from October 31 to February 24, 2024, provides an enlightening look into the diversity and depth of the first languages.
- Embrace the uncanny by taking in Liminal Spaces in the gallery’s staircase space.
- "Ministik Mihkinâhk – “Turtle Island” exhibit in the gallery’s vault space offers a fresh perspective on the Indigenous history associated with Turtle Island, a term used by several indigenous peoples for the continent of North America.
- The St. Albert History Gallery is a permanent fixture at the Musée Héritage Museum. It offers visitors an opportunity to delve into the rich history and heritage of St. Albert.
If you are unable to visit in person, fear not. The Arts and Heritage St. Albert has a rich selection of online exhibitions, most museum/history based and others that allow you to explore the beauty of art from the comfort of your own home.
But the Arts and Heritage St. Albert is more than just a space for viewing art. It's also a space for engaging with art and heritage. The Art Nook + Discovery Room offers an interactive and educational environment where visitors can learn about various art techniques and styles, while the events and tours offer a deeper dive into the stories behind the art and artifacts.
Stepping into the museum and gallery's gift shops, you'll find a diverse collection of handcrafted items from local artisans. From beautiful jewelry to unique home decor, each piece tells a story of creativity and craftsmanship. It's the perfect place to find a unique gift or a special keepsake, and every purchase supports the local arts community.
Behind all these wonderful experiences is The Arts and Heritage Foundation of St. Albert. The Foundation is committed to providing exceptional arts and heritage experiences to the community. It offers free entry into the Art Gallery of St. Albert and Musée Héritage Museum year-round, as well as seasonal access to St. Albert’s Historic River Lots + Grain Elevators, Father Lacombe Chapel, and Little White School. In addition, the Foundation also offers engaging community programming within popular art classes, some with heritage themes.
“We have very welcoming and knowledgeable staff who are sure to make your visit memorable,” says Ann Ramsden, Arts and Heritage Foundation of St. Albert, Executive Director. “During our cold winter months, we encourage you to visit the gallery and museum to view the exhibitions or simply take in our popular Art Nook and Discovery Room activities. They are family friendly and updated regularly so you can always see something new,” she adds.
So, come in out of the cold this winter and discover the warm, welcoming world of the Arts and Heritage St. Albert. Whether you're an art aficionado, a history buff, or simply looking for a unique experience, there's something here for everyone. And by doing so, you're not just exploring a hidden gem; you're supporting a vibrant community of artists and preserving our shared heritage for future generations.