Pastels, as you well may know, are colours lightened with white to achieve a calm, creamy version of the original.
The most popular pastels for this year are blush pink, pistachio and mint greens, sky blue, and periwinkle. The pastel pinks and greens speak of apple and cherry blossoms on newly budding branches. The blue calls to mind sweet spring water, and light purple is often used to represent spirituality. Together, these colours create a peaceful atmosphere with a fresh, joyful spirit.
If you’re ready to bring some of that calm, blossoming energy into your home this season, here are a few ideas for picking the perfect pastel décor to brighten your home!
For the Walls
- Garlands: For a quick and easy splash of colour, hang a spring garland in your living or dining area. It’s great for hanging from a mantel or draping across a dining room wall to celebrate the season simply.
- Art: For an even bolder statement, trade out your current wall art for a floral canvas or an abstract pastel set of prints. Or, you can go 3D with a flower décor set in a range of pastel colours.
- Lights: For a fun, floral take on string lights, grab a string of pastel Origami Flowers LED lights. They’re great for above reading areas or in a kid’s room, and they feel more elegant and spring-y than bare bulbs.
For Tables, Shelves, and Surfaces
- Grab some Farmhouse Painted Mason Jars in your choice of pastels and fill with sprigs of new leaves from your garden or fresh-looking faux flowers from your local craft supply shop! The most popular colour combo is Mint Green, Pink, Yellow, and Paris Blue - together, they create a sweet accent to a countertop or island.
For the Living Room & Bedrooms
- Pillows: Throw pillows are a great way to liven up your living room for spring. Proclaim the spirit of the season with a pastel printed throw pillow, or let the colours do the talking with a throw pillow of all shades of purple and white.
- Blankets: A throw blanket is great for those sometimes-chilly spring days, but the pastel reminds you, “Hey, it’s still spring out there!” Muted pastels are calmly warming, while more vivid pastels can pop with the addition of a vibrant pink and red.
Kitchen & Dining
- Plates: Pastel plates and serving trays create a sense of freshness and fun for the season. Fill them with fresh, light foods, holiday cupcakes, or use them for egg decorating!
- Tablecloths: Pastel tablecloths are a great way to bring a large block of colour to your dining area. Go for various pastels with a spring plaid tablecloth or a solid and cheerful canary yellow.
- Welcome in guests just as you’re welcoming in spring with a pastel welcome doormat. You can also brighten your doorway with those pale pinks, joyful yellows, and grass greens in a wreath accented with a cute bunny outline.
There are so many ways to decorate for spring, but there’s no question about it - use pastels for the palette!