Skip to content

Construction worker dies following rooftop fall in Canmore

“He took a fall from a fairly serious height, injuring himself on impact seriously, with life-threatening injuries.”

CANMORE – A man in his 40s is dead after falling from a height of at least two storeys at a residential construction site in Canmore on Thursday (June 13).

RCMP Corporal Gina Slaney confirmed it was a fatality and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) is investigating.

First responders, who were on scene within five minutes of the call at 12:50 p.m. to 4th Street and 6th Avenue, say the man is believed to have fallen more than 10 metres.

“Canmore Fire along with EMS responded to a 40-something year-old male who had taken a fall at a construction site in south Canmore,” said Canmore fire chief Walter Gahler.

“He took a fall from a fairly serious height, injuring himself on impact seriously, with life-threatening injuries.”

With quick response times, Gahler said Canmore Fire Rescue, along with EMS crews, were able to immediately begin life-saving measures.

“Both crews attended with the patient to the hospital, providing care on-route,” said Gahler.

“Upon arrival at the hospital, they turned the patient over to the emergency department where they continued their efforts to try to save the gentleman.”

Canmore RCMP and OHS also attended the residential construction site. OHS investigates serious work site incidents, including fatalities, which fall under provincial legislation.

A statement from Alberta Jobs, Economy and Trade – under which OHS falls – confirmed OHS is investigating the work site fatality. They did not release the name of the company.

“It is always tragic when a worker dies on the job. Our goal is focused on having all workers return home safely after every work day,” according to the statement.

“As this is an active investigation, no further information will be provided at this time.”

STARS air ambulance was called to Canmore General Hospital, where the helicopter remained for about an hour.

The air ambulance was then stood down and left Canmore.

“All I can confirm is that we were stood down from patient transport as we were not medically required,” said Jonah van Driesum, communications officers for STARS, in an email.

“Because we are not transporting a patient, we would have to defer to local responders or AHS for any details on patient condition.”

Alberta Health Services EMS spokesperson Stuart Brideaux said EMS transported the patient in “critical and life-threatening condition” to Canmore General Hospital.

“Canmore ground crews requested STARS rendezvous at Canmore Hospital where all crews assisted with patient care, however, STARS did not ultimately leave Canmore with the patient.”

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks