X
    Categories: Court

Murder case moved to St. Albert

Murder charges moved to St. Albert

Four men who are charged in the death of a man whose body was found in rural Sturgeon County in October have had their cases moved to St. Albert.

Sterling Devon Martin McGilvery, 24; Skylar Taurus McGilvery, 21; Tyler Edmund Fischer, 31; and Cougar Dominique Fafard, 24; all face first-degree murder charges in the death of Kevin Dean Damien Yellowbird.

The four men are all residents of Edmonton.

Yellowbird was found in a ditch on a rural road in Sturgeon County on Oct. 17, 2017. RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Hal Turnbull said that investigators believe Yellowbird passed away “some time before” Oct. 17.

Turnbull said investigators suspect he had been there for longer than two days but cannot confirm exactly how much time elapsed before his body was discovered.

The RCMP say they will not release a timeline of events or how Yellowbird was killed until the trial.

Yellowbird, who was a resident of Edmonton and had ties to the community of Ma-Me-O Beach, was found on Oct. 17.

The four men will appear on March 19 and are slated for an election and plea at the St. Albert Provincial Court.

Preliminary inquiry extended

The preliminary inquiry for a woman accused of murdering a St. Albert senior will need to add an extra day.

A two day preliminary inquiry was held on Thursday and Friday for St. Albert resident Beryl Musila, who is accused of killing Ron Worsfold.

Musila’s preliminary hearing will continue on April 13 at 9:30 a.m. at St. Albert Provincial Court. Once the hearing is over a trial date will be scheduled if needed.

There is a publication ban on all materials presented during the preliminary inquiry.

Aggravated assault arraignment date

An arraignment date has been scheduled for a man who is facing charges in the aggravated assault of a teen.

Boakai Abu Dukuly, 19, will stand trial for charges of aggravated assault, robbery and forcible confinement. His charges will be read at the Court of Queen’s Bench in Edmonton on March 9.

Dukuly is also facing a second set of charges that stemmed from his time in pre-trial custody. He has been charged with attempting to obstruct justice and failing to comply with conditions. RCMP say these charges have arisen from allegations that Dukuly may have had contact with the victim in the aggravated assault incident.

Malcolm Quincy Powery, 24, and Calvin Junior Powery-Hooker, 18, who were also facing charges in the incident have had their charges stayed.

All three men are residents of Edmonton.

Police said that a 17-year-old St. Albert male, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, allegedly went to meet the men and entered their vehicle for a drug deal.

The three first faced charges after police said a teen was assaulted, receiving injuries to his side, face and head. He required surgery and a stay at the hospital.

The boy also had his property stolen and was left wandering through the Akinsdale neighbourhood without shoes or socks.

St. Albert Gazette :The St. Albert Gazette has been the source for news and community information in St. Albert and area since 1961. Today the twice-weekly full-colour tabloid delivers award-winning journalism in print, online and on mobile.