Court Briefs


A man slipped back into his old ways, St. Albert court heard on Monday, when he was caught red-handed with marijuana.

Milton Jamie Anderson appeared in court via CCTV from the Edmonton Remand Centre (ERC) and pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance, possession of another person’s driver’s license and failing to comply with the conditions of his probation.

Anderson was released in October 2012 on recognizance for a drug trafficking charge. The conditions of his release included a curfew and the prohibition of possessing a controlled substance as well as a cellphone.

Court heard RCMP officers found 1.2g of cannabis marijuana, two electronic scales, one cellphone and two operators licenses that weren’t his, during a curfew check.

Federal crown prosecutor Jeremy Newton described Anderson’s criminal record as showing a history of “disobeying court orders.”

Judge Bruce Garriock sentenced Anderson to 30 days in prison – of which he has 11 more days to serve – and a total of $550 in fines, with the victim fine surcharge waived.

A 20-year-old St. Albert man will have to find a new place to live, after a dispute with his landlord has landed him behind bars.

Kristian Andres Ojeda pleaded guilty to assault and failure to comply with the conditions of his probation in court on Monday, via CCTV from the ERC.

The charges stemmed from an incident on April 10 where Ojeda struck a man over the head, knocking him down, during a disagreement in the Greenfield Estates complex.

Ojeda was sentenced to 12 days in jail, time served, 12 months probation and a no contact order with his landlord.

A St. Albert man who faced two separate impaired driving charges will be off the road for at least six months, after being sentenced on Monday.

Doyle Jay Lefebvre pleaded guilty to impaired care or operation of a motor vehicle, failure to provide a breathalyser sample and failure to appear in court.

Court heard on Aug. 29, 2008, Lefebvre was pulled over by St. Albert RCMP after the truck he was driving was found to be swerving on the road. Officers noted the smell of alcohol on his breath when he stumbled out of the truck, and found a 12-pack of beer on the front passenger seat.

Lefebvre told officers he consumed five beers. He refused to provide a breathalyzer sample.

Lefebvre also faced an impaired charge stemming from a separate incident on May 1, 2009 where he had passed out in his vehicle – which was still running – in the parking lot of the Tap House Pub in St. Albert.

After several attempts, RCMP were finally successful in rousing him. Lefebvre provided breath samples of 142 and 143 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milligrams of blood – the legal limit is 80.

Garriock opted for a rehabilitative sentence for Lefebvre and handed him two years probation with conditions to abstain from illegal drugs and alcohol and to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings every week as directed by a probation officer.

Lefebvre will have his license suspended for one year, with the option of applying to the interlock program after six months.

A 22-year-old Edmonton man was turned in to police by a family member for breaching the conditions of his undertaking and uttering threats.

Court heard on April 8, a family member of Jay Lee Bedard called St. Albert RCMP at 10:10 p.m. stating they believed Bedard was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

When officers arrived on scene, Bedard was visibly angry and they detected an odour of alcohol on his breath.

“You wait until I get out of here, you’ll be sorry,” said Bedard to the family member that turned him in, as stated in the police report.

Bedard pleaded guilty to one charge of uttering threats and two charges of failing to comply with the conditions of his undertaking. He was sentenced to 14 days in jail – deemed served by the 14 days he had already spent awaiting sentence – six months probation, victim’s fine surcharge waived.

A St. Albert man faces another three weeks behind bars after trying to instigate a fight with a peace officer while intoxicated.

Trevor Dean Kuntz appeared in St. Albert court via CCTV from the ERC earlier this week and pleaded guilty to obstructing a peace officer.

Court heard on April 16, a drunken Kuntz had fallen asleep on a St. Albert city bus heading to Village Transit Station. When he awoke, Kuntz was staggering and almost fell into a bus behind him when trying to find identification to show RCMP officers.

Officers noted he became increasingly difficult, swearing and insulting them in an attempt to instigate a fight.

Provincial crown prosecutor Jon Werbicki told the court Kuntz had a history of breaches on his criminal record. “He gets himself so intoxicated … he just doesn’t care,” he described Kuntz’s pattern of conduct.

Kuntz admitted to the court he has been dealing with alcohol addiction issues and seems to “get into trouble” whenever he has time off work.

Garriock handed Kuntz a 30-day jail sentence – of which he has 19 days left to serve.

A former schoolteacher and principal has been banned from driving for one year.

Gary Michael Poloz pleaded guilty to impaired operation of a motor vehicle in court on Monday.

Court heard on Feb. 27, St. Albert RCMP pulled over a slow travelling pickup truck whose driver – later identified as Poloz – had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the smell of liquor on his breath. Poloz told RCMP it had been thee days since his last drink.

Werbicki told the court Poloz had a related incident on his record from 2002.

Judge Bruce Garriock handed Poloz a $1,250 fine, victim surcharge waived, and a one-year driving prohibition. Poloz can apply to the interlock program after three months.

A St. Albert man received jail time after pleading guilty to several probation related charges on Monday.

Jarred Conrad Judd faced two breach of probation charges and one failure to comply with the conditions of his release, all stemming from his release on recognizance on April 16, 2008.

Court heard Judd failed to report to the probation office the day after his release and failed to attend subsequent meetings with his probation officer.

Judd has stayed under the radar since 2008.

Werbicki read out Judd’s two-page criminal record to the court; charges consisted of uttering threats, mischief, theft, assault, failure to attend court and driving offenses.

Garriock sentenced Judd to 60 days in jail to be served at the same time for all three charges. Judd has been in custody for 32 days.


About Author

St. Albert Gazette

The St. Albert Gazette has been the source for news and community information in St. Albert and area since 1961. Today the twice-weekly full-colour tabloid delivers award-winning journalism in print, online and on mobile.