Don’t let the name deceive you, the St. Albert Garden Club’s annual flower show is so much more. Showcasing the array of artistic, culinary and gardening talents this city has to offer, the show features categories ranging from flowers, vegetables, baked goods and photography.
The St. Albert Place foyer was an explosion of colour last weekend as 35 exhibitors displaying 444 exhibits competed for a total prize purse of $631 at the event’s 33rd rendition.
Photography was the most popular category with 111 entries.
Seventeen special awards were handed out as selected by the judges. Winners in each category are as follows:
1. Most outstanding design trophy: Angela Grootelaar, “Flower of the Year” Arrangement.
2. Henry Cracknell: Alfonso Villalobos, Heaviest Marrow/Zucchini/Squash.
3. Ed Sherman: Derrick Harrison, Tomatoes.
4. Best Dahlia: Carol George, Dahlia – large cactus.
5. Best Gladiolus: Lucy Krisco, Gladiolus – standard.
6. Best Rose: Richard Plain, Rose (Hybrid Tea).
7. Best Flower of the Year (Nasturtium): Maureen Elhatton, “Flower of the Year.”
8. City of St. Albert Award (Best Petunia): Lucy Krisco, “City of St. Albert Flower.”
9. Champion Bloom Trophy: Richard Plain, Rose (Hybrid Tea).
10. Best Photography: Maureen Elhatton, “Scrumptious.”
11. Lois Hole Memorial Trophy (most points in vegetable and fruit classes): Maureen Elhatton.
12. Most points in flower classes: Lucy Krisco.
13: Most points in houseplants: Lucy Krisco, Olga Matvichuk, Maureen Elhatton.
14. Children’s Trophy (most points in children only section): Alayna Watamaniuk.
15: Most points in culinary division: Olga Matvichuk.
16: John Beedle Trophy (most points by a novice): Yvonne Sutherland.
17: Most points in show – and A.H.A Rosette: Maureen Elhatton.
– Information courtesy of Lucy Krisco