Running for: St. Albert Council
Years resident in community: 37 years
Neighbourhood: Deer Ridge
Family status: Married
Education: U of A Management Development
Current Occupation: City councillor
Q: What was your primary motivation to seek elected office?
I wish to serve the community that has treated my family so well. It is my conviction that St. Albert has the ability and resources necessary to continue to be the best city in Canada in which to live and raise a family. To achieve this goal, St. Albert cannot rest on its laurels. It must continue to face the challenges of growth and build the required infrastructure to serve our community. It must work with regional partners to efficiently provide needed services. Finally, I am able to work respectfully with all and represent St. Albert professionally.
Q: What skills and experiences have prepared you for this office??
7 years – councillor – City of St. Albert
7 years – Homeland Housing Board (formerly Sturgeon Foundation)
4 years – Capital Region Board Transit Committee Chair
6 Years – Edmonton Salutes – serving regional military families
35 years – Director of Bus Operations – Edmonton Transit
2 terms – President, City of Edmonton Management Association
2 terms – President – PP&T Chapter of Canadian Urban Transit Association
23 years – Rivercity Credit Union Director
6 years – St. Albert Library Board
2 years – St. Albert Environment Advisory Committee
I have proven leadership skills and can professionally lead local, regional and national initiatives.
Q: What do you think are the most important issues to the community at large?
1. A cohesive, respectful council that can focus on significant local and regional issues.
2. Affordable housing options for all age groups.
3. Youth engagement. The leaders of tomorrow must be invited to participate in society. Those with transition difficulties must be helped.
4. Regional collaboration with Sturgeon County for local servicing and land matters, and the greater region for joint service provision opportunities.
5. Economic development.
– Collaborate with Edmonton Global for regional economic growth
– Collaborate with NABI and EDAB for local economic growth
– Streamline civic permitting practices
– Ensure business parks have high-speed Internet service.
Q: What specific goals will you work to achieve if elected?
– Advocate for the 196-unit Seniors and Affordable Housing Project.
– Continue to build regional consensus around public transit service provision.
– Boundary adjustment with Sturgeon County.
– Provincial recognition of Ray Gibbon Drive as Highway 2 North.
– Preserve designated park spaces within our community.
– Address needed youth supports required by the Collective.
– Prudently build needed infrastructure in our community using innovative service provision models to mitigate cost.
– Retention of city owned land in the Lakeview District to serve civic needs and spur light industrial development in that quadrant of the city.
Find all the St. Albert Election coverage here