X
    Categories: Local News

Rifle charges dropped against bush party suspect

SEVEN CHARGES DROPPED – Nassir Gibert

A number of charges were dropped against Nassir Gibert, a suspect in a bush party disturbance earlier this month.

The 19-year-old St. Albert resident is charged with 17 offences including assault, uttering threats and brandishing weapons. There were originally 24 charges against him relating to that night.

Gibert is accused of threatening and pointing a pistol at two separate individuals and assaulting one of them. On Monday, the Crown dropped all charges that related to a third complainant, as well as those that involved the possession, storage and use of a rifle.

Shortly after midnight Aug. 13, police responded to reports that two men had threatened people with weapons at a bush party on the outskirts of St. Albert. One man was said to be carrying a rifle and the other was said to have a pistol.

The suspect with the handgun allegedly pointed it at people and threatened them.

Officers shut down the party and sent 100 people home, but could not locate the men with the guns. Gibert turned himself in to police without incident after being contacted by the RCMP.

Gibert is charged with two counts of uttering threats, one count of assault causing bodily harm, two counts of pointing a firearm (a pistol), one count of careless use or storage of a weapon (a pistol), one count of carrying a concealed weapon (a pistol), and several breaches of recognizance.

One count of unauthorized possession of a weapon (a rifle), one count of careless use or storage of a weapon (a rifle), a third count of pointing a firearm and a second count of assault causing bodily harm were all dropped on Monday.

Crown prosecutor Patricia Hankinson could not provide any details about why these charges were not being pursued.

“Further investigation and information obtained by the RCMP determined there would not be a substantial likelihood of conviction regarding the seven charges against Nassir Gibert, thus they were dropped,” said Cst. M-J Burroughs in an emailed statement.

No plea has been entered in relation to the bush party charges. Gibert’s next appearance is scheduled for Sept. 12 in St. Albert provincial court.

Gibert faces several unrelated charges, including fraudulently obtaining food in an incident involving Earl’s Restaurant in May, mischief in damaging a St. Albert mailbox in April and breach of recognizance. He is also scheduled to go to trial in Edmonton Sept. 19 on housebreaking charges from a Nov. 11, 2015 incident in St. Albert. He is currently in custody.

No one else has been arrested in this case, but Cst. Burroughs indicated that the investigation is ongoing and the RCMP continues to follow up on information provided.

Michelle Ferguson: