Condolences for Moncton
Local book to be delivered to Moncton RCMP at end of month
By: Amy Crofts
| Posted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 03:31 pm
The book of condolences will be available for signing from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 12 noon on Saturday at the front counter of the St. Albert RCMP detachment, located at 96 Bellerose Dr.
Messages of condolence can also be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RCMP Foundation has set up the Moncton Fallen RCMP Members Memorial Fund at: http://www.canadahelps.org/dn/18850
Cheques can be sent by mail to:
RCMP Foundation 203-2460 Lancaster Road Ottawa, Ont. K1B 4S5
Cheques should be made out to The RCMP Foundation with Moncton Fallen RCMP Members Fund specified in the memo field.
St. Albert residents can send their thoughts and prayers to the families of the three RCMP officers who were killed in Moncton, N.B. last week.
St. Albert RCMP and Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home put together a book with the names and pictures of the officers as a memento for their grieving families.
We welcome anyone with positive wishes they would like to send down to Moncton. Im sure they would welcome support from the whole country, said Cpl. Laurel Kading with the St. Albert detachment.
Const. Dave Joseph Ross, Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan and Const. Douglas James Larche were shot and killed on June 4 after responding to a report of a heavily armed man walking in a residential neighbourhood on the north end of Moncton.
After a more than 24-hour manhunt that put the city into lockdown, police arrested the lone gunman Justin Bourque.
The 24-year-old has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder after two other RCMP officers were injured during the shooting.
The Moncton shooting has been described as one of the worst multiple-murder shootings in Canadian history, rivalling the 2005 Mayerthorpe shooting where four Mounties were murdered.
A regimental funeral was held for the fallen officers on Tuesday.
An estimated 7,000 RCMP officers and first responders from across North America were expected to attend including a delegation of 35 law enforcement officials from Alberta, reported CBC.
St. Albert RCMP have made the book of condolences available to the public until the end of June. It will then be sent to the Moncton RCMP detachment.
We wanted to give the people of our community an opportunity to grieve and pay their respects, said Gary Lynn, funeral director of Connelly-McKinley.
We see it as a way of helping families preserve the memories over the course of time.
Moncton RCMP have said an investigation into the shooting will be conducted to prevent a similar incident from happening again.