Linwood Crescent reconstruction to start in late June
Whole crescent is being updated, closures will be in phases
Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 06:00 am
For more information:
Reconstruction of Linwood Crescent is scheduled to start June 23.
“Roads are typically built to last 25 years. This road is 42 years old,” said Sue Howard, capital projects manager for the city.
Repairs will include rebuilding the road, repairing curb and gutter drainage, replacing some sidewalks and replacing driveway aprons.
“All of the aprons will be removed and replaced. Portions of sidewalks will be replaced and then certain driveways may need to be partially replaced so we can correct grade out there,” Howard said, noting it’s a fairly flat road and there’s some need to improve drainage.
An open house, the second of two for the reconstruction, was held earlier this week for residents to learn a bit more about the project, which is due to start June 23 and wrap up by mid-September, weather permitting.
“In the first open house, we took a lot of feedback that we got as far as residents that have mobility issues, and then we readjusted the phasing to try and accommodate those residents as best as we could,” Howard said.
Sidewalks for the whole crescent will be done first, and then there will be three phases where the rest of the work is completed.
The road closure phases are linked to different locations around the crescent to try to minimize time and impact each area of Linwood Crescent is affected.
“The phasing is meant to try and impact just a small amount of people at a time and hopefully we can manage to work around everybody’s needs this summer,” Howard said.
Each phase will have a 15-minute drop-off zone on either end for people who need to load up as close to their house as possible, she said. There will also be an area for handicap parking.
“We’ve asked the surrounding residents to be kind to their neighbours while their phase is shut down,” Howard said, noting on-street parking will be limited and it’d be nice if people with room to do so consider sharing their driveways.
The intent is to keep everything else as normal as possible, including garbage collection. Howard said residents will take their bins out as normal and the contractor will take them away to a spot for collection and bring them back.
“One of the things we’re asking people to do is get back to us and let us know if they have any special events,” she said.
Residents should keep in touch with project manager Ryan Krausher over any major issues or concerns, she said.
“We understand that these types of projects are very inconvenient for the residents and have a huge impact on their summer, but you know we’re trying to get in there and get it done as quickly as we can,” Howard said.
In addition to the rest of the work, two pararamps are being removed while one is to be relocated.
Howard said the pararamps would need to be re-installed to the Canadian National Institute for the Blind’s standards, and the ones that will be removed could not be due to location.
“If we put these ramps back in we’re going to send them kind of kitty-corner across the street into someone’s driveway,” Howard said. Between the open houses and letters, there were no negative comments about removing them, she said.