| Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 04:00 pm
Travis Vader has been denied bail and will remain in custody, a court decided Friday afternoon.
Vader applied for bail earlier this week as he awaits a trial scheduled for September. The 42-year-old is facing nine charges including theft, drug trafficking, careless storage of a firearm and breach of recognizance.
Vader was previously convicted of the charges but a mistrial was declared in October 2012 due to a lack of proper disclosure of evidence.
Vader was charged with first degree murder in the July 2010 disappearance of St. Albert couple Lyle and Marie McCann. The charges were stayed by the Crown in March 2014, a month before it was to proceed to trial. The case continues to be stayed, said Edmonton's chief Crown prosecutor Michelle Doyle.
The Crown opposed Vader's release on bail Friday afternoon.
Vader has been denied bail twice before – in March 2011 and February 2012.
Tracy Webster, a friend of Vader's who was at the bail hearing, said she was hoping the decision would be different.
“I think the judge was slightly unfair. He has served four years. He hasn't been convicted of murder or anything like that.”
Vader has been in custody since July 2010.
Vader looks pale and disheartened, she said. He is disappointed.
“I think that he doesn't want to hang around with any bad people,” she said. “He wants to work, see his kids and make a life again, have a home.”
“He just wants to get on with his life.”
Vader will be back in court Sept. 8 for trial, which is scheduled for four days. A pre-trial conference will be held in July.