View our mobile site

Court Briefs


  |  Posted: Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 06:00 am

Comments    |   

Print    |   


Charge dropped

An Edmonton man involved in a car crash that killed a St. Albertan last year was handed a fine on Monday.

Salman Akram faced charges of operating a vehicle at an unreasonable rate of speed and possession of marijuana under 30 grams.

He was one of the drivers involved in a two-car collision at St. Albert Trail and Hebert Road on Feb. 23, 2013.

St. Albert resident Michael Loft-McLean, 20, was sitting in the front passenger seat of one of the vehicles and was killed on impact.

At trial, Akram pleaded guilty to possession and received a $230 fine. The speeding charge was withdrawn.

The other driver, Jacques Raymond Hachey of St. Albert, will be back in court May 5.

He has been charged with impaired operation by drug of a motor vehicle causing death, impaired operation by drug of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, possession of marijuana under 30 grams and making an unsafe left turn.

Jail time for spitting on officer

A man who spit in the face of a police officer will be spending his weekends in jail for the next two months.

Court heard that on March 10, 2013, RCMP received a complaint from a Co-op taxi driver that a passenger was drunk and belligerent. When an officer tried to arrest the man – later identified as Jessi-Le Ward – the accused spit in the officer’s face.

Ward pleaded guilty to assault in court Monday.

“Spitting on a police officer is very dangerous, there is undue risk of infectious diseases,” said Crown prosecutor Patricia Hankinson.

Assault of a peace officer typically attracts a 60 to 90-day jail sentence, noted defence lawyer Sam Jomha.

Jomha said Ward’s problem with alcohol has landed him before the courts in the past – a criminal conviction of theft under $5,000 in 2011.

Ward said he has stopped drinking since the incident and will book himself into residential treatment.

Judge Bruce Garriock handed Ward a 15-day jail sentence, which he will serve on the weekends at Fort Saskatchewan so he can finish up schooling. He will also be on probation for one year.

Drugs are bad

A man who pilfered goods from London Drugs has now been released after 10 days in jail.

Brock James Bourrie pleaded guilty to theft under $5,000 and resisting arrest in court Monday.

In the afternoon of April 12, 2013, a loss prevention officer at London Drugs in St. Albert stopped Bourrie outside the store after he left with $500 worth of unpaid merchandise in a duffel bag.

Police notes indicate Bourrie pulled away from the officer and struck him in the chin with his elbow. Via CCTV from the Edmonton Remand Centre, Bourrie agreed to the facts but said the officer slammed him to the ground.

Bourrie has no prior criminal record.

“I just want to get better and get off drugs,” he said to the court. “Drugs have ruined my life.”

Bourrie was given credit for 10 days time served as well as an 18-month suspended sentence, under which he will have to abstain from drugs and other intoxicating substances.


NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The St. Albert Gazette welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to delete comments deemed inappropriate. We reserve the right to close the comments thread for stories that are deemed especially sensitive. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher.

All comments are moderated, and if approved could take up to 48 hours to appear on the website.

blog comments powered by Disqus