Morinville system flawed
| Posted: Wednesday, Oct 23, 2013 06:00 am
The Gazette’s edition of Oct. 9 was most interesting by bringing many political matters to light for the upcoming municipal elections.
As well pointed out in a letter by Paula Hittinger of Morinville, this town’s election system appears to be badly flawed. The town has no wards. But yet, six out of 16 candidates will be elected to become town council members. The winning candidates won’t need a vote majority of over 50 per cent at all! To be elected, they’ll only need a “plurality” of votes that will be split 16 ways for the six positions.
And since voters don’t need to vote for all six positions, the math becomes most interesting. Voters may vote for possibly only three councillors and ignore the rest. And so, if 90 per cent of the ballots have votes for only the top three favourites, the remaining three councillors must then be elected with the remaining 10 per cent of the ballots with votes split among the remaining 13 candidates. The next three “winners,” who get a “plurality,” might then win with less than 1 per cent of the votes. In other words, though over 99 per cent of the voters won’t want them to be councillors, they’ll still possibly get elected thanks to Morinville’s highly flawed electoral system! Me thinks it stinks!
Richard G. Nobert, Morinville