At City Hall
| Posted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 06:00 am
The city is optimistic it will receive the remainder of the money its former AJHL hockey team owes — it will just take a bit longer than planned.
Chris Jardine, general manager of community and protective services, confirmed Thursday he had received a letter from a member of the former team’s board of governors this week, explaining that former part-owner, general manager and coach Greg Parks, who moved the team to Whitecourt, has been away for several weeks.
“He’s not back until early October,” Jardine said. “They won’t meet the deadline. We don’t want to be adversarial. We want to receive what’s due to us.”
The team’s agreement with the city expired Aug. 31. When the Steel pulled up and moved to Whitecourt, it owed St. Albert $229,000. The city received $100,000 — the relocation fee — in May. The outstanding balance — for renovations to the team’s former locker room — was due on Aug. 31.
At a standing committee on finance meeting Monday, Jardine told members of city council the city had issued its demand letter and was preparing for legal action. Mayor Nolan Crouse also floated the idea of writing a letter to the AJHL informing them of the situation.
Jardine said the city has now extended the Steel’s deadline until the end of October.
“To hear from one of the members of the board, I’d say it is extremely promising.”
A mathematical error might have been to blame for the belief at standing committee on finance Monday that this year’s payment to the federal government for the city’s RCMP contract had been hiked seven per cent.
Jardine admitted Thursday he had missed a year when calculating the percentage increase year over year because the city uses a fiscal year and the federal government a calendar year.
“I forgot about it, so that’s a two-year jump,” Jardine said. Theoretically it should work out to a 3.5-per-cent increase, but Jardine had yet to re-do his math.
That number would still be higher than the 1.8 to 2 per cent number the city expected. The total figure for 2013 is pegged at $679,100, but that includes the annualization of a new sergeant’s salary at the local detachment, as well as the department asking for one more member. The balance — approximately $500,000 — constitutes the city’s payment to the federal government.
The amount the city pays represents 90 per cent of the total cost of having RCMP services in St. Albert. The federal government pays the remaining 10 per cent.
Arts and Heritage feedback
The public will have a few opportunities to share what they think should be included in the new Arts and Heritage Foundation stewardship agreement.
The city will also host an open house on Tuesday Sept. 18 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the East Boardroom of St. Albert Place.
The city voted to renew the existing agreement with the Arts and Heritage Foundation on Aug. 27, subject to any revisions deemed appropriate. City manager Patrick Draper will update city council on the status of the agreement on Oct. 22.
The original agreement expires Dec. 31.